16 March 2009

My First Flight

When I started this hobby, I wasnt sure whether I'am up to it. My boss, friend at work call me crazy and said the hobby dangerous. But I pay little attention of what they said, this is my childhood dream, somehow I have to work hard on it to realize it. Furthermore I'm not that lucky person who pilot B747 for living.

I start by going to local air carnival (not many organized here) and visited the booth that display the para equipment and start asking silly questions just like regular person. To my surprise the person that manning the booth was not customer friendly and act like a robot. That mean you if you ask 1 word he reply one word. Never even want to answer my questions seriously. I feel disappointed on my first encounter and this make me rethink my intention to join this sport.

Many months and years later I joined group of RC Flying Model enthusiast and luck was on my side as this hobby make way for me to get closer to people that has interest like me...flying. Tho they only fly RC Model, the experience and knowledge they had plus some knowledge that I gathered from the internet thought me about aviation, its discipline and risk. So I learned alot f stuffs. Believe me when you have good knowledge about aviation, learning to fly become easy as all the theories are already in your head.

There was this day when I'm flying my RC Heli at Cyberjaya suddenly I saw a guy flying with a paramotor orbiting behind me. I was astounded and I quickly land my RC Heli, packed my things and dash to the place where the paramotor guy landed. There were 2 guys there, one introduce himself as Wan was the guy with nice looking paramotor unit call Nirvana and the other one call himself Wak. We quickly introduce each other and start a friendly conversation and I got to know that Wan just completed the paramotor course with Mat Salleh instructor.

While Wak just started and just bought a wing and built his own paramotor unit using a motorcycle engine. Wak's engine does look scary but after learning about his background and his high passion about flying I have to give him a salute for his DIY engine. Both of them were looking for new people to expand their paramotor team and I was quickly accepted to be part of their team. After learning basic kitting and know how to handle the wing properly a few months later I bought myself an engine. Used one of course to keep my start up cost at minimal.

The following week after received my engine I was ready to attempt my 1st SOLO flight. Under Wan supervision and after getting the setup right, I started the engine and warm up the engine for awhile. When the morning breeze came, I move forward and pull the A risers firmly. The wing came up nicely and Wan give a 2 thumb up mean everything were good. I accelerate the engine and speed up my running forward until I was lifted up to the air. While maintaining the engine speed I pull myself into the harness and start piloting the glider around the field. While fear was in me, the joy and excitement of flying suppress my fear. This was my first taste of flying and I enjoy it very much and I can tell you I wont stop for one time only.

After fly circuit a few rounds I decided to land because the engine start to acting up and sound rough. I make a turn and make my landing approach towards the wind. About 10 meter from the ground I turned off the engine and got off the harness. With steady direction control to my landing spot then about few feets from the ground I pull full brake and touch my leg softly for a safe landing. There was a big grin on my face and Wan came to me, shake my hand, congratulate me and said ' Welcome to the world of flying paramotor'.

I just touch the surface of flying this personal aircraft and I knew I wont stop here, there is still so much to learn. Whatever it is I'm delighted as my dream to fly is realized.

No comments:

Post a Comment